Dog Obedience Tips: 10 Things You Must Avoid When Training Your Dog
If there are things you must enforce while training your pet, there are also things you must be careful to avoid. Here are ten dog obedience tips on the don’ts of dog training.
The 10 most common dog training mistakes
1. Don’t expect too much, too soon. Training your pet will take time so don’t expect her to sit, stay, and roll over on command after a few days’ session.
2. Don’t introduce corrections too soon. Correcting your pet during the early stages of your training is detrimental to her progress. A good Dog obedience tip is to issue rewards for every achievement instead.
3. Don’t give up. Again, as training your pet takes time, just be patient and don’t think your pet untrainable just because she is slow to pick up.
4. Don’t be inconsistent. Sometimes, your pet will have difficulty trying to figure out what you really want her to learn if you are inconsistent. If you don’t want your pet to eliminate in a certain spot, an effective Dog obedience tip is: be consistent in enforcing this rule.
5. Don’t reinforce bad behavior. To your pet, affection is a reward. Your pet will associate her behavior with your reward so you have to be careful when showing affection at the wrong moment.
6. Don’t fail to practice. You cannot train your dog round the clock (you also have a life!) but you will always have time to practice.
Here is a Dog obedience tip: Incorporate training in everything your dog does: she must sit before she can eat, she must stay before she can go out, and so on.
7. Don’t correct for good behavior. Remember that your pet will associate reward or punishment to the act that preceded it. This means if you call your pet only to punish her, she will make a mental note not to come to you the next time you call her.
8. Don’t maintain the wrong state of mind. Your pet will mimic you as much she could. If you are anxious, so is she and if you are confident, she will be as well. A good Dog obedience tip is for you to be happy when training your pet for her to be happy as well.
9. Don’t forget that your dog needs exercise. Your dog’s pent up energy could lead to a behavior you won’t like so make sure that your pet has plenty of exercise.
10. Don’t neglect to establish your dominance as pack leader. No Dog obedience tips will be effective if you can’t make yourself known to your pet as the alpha-dog.
Our previous article Find out more about Spay and Neuter Our article titled neuter, spay ve spay and neuter about information is given.